Back to top


Click here to go back

Rent Paid Affidavit ? Who Needs One ? How To Get One

Posted by Liz Weaver Posted on Feb 06 2013
From Minnesota Revenue:
When a renter is unable to obtain a Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) from their landlord, the Department of Revenue offers an alternative that can be used to file for a Property Tax Refund called the Rent Paid Affidavit (RPA).  To use an RPA to apply for the refund, you will need to provide proof of payment in the form of receipts or cancelled checks for the rent you paid to the landlord.
You can order a 2012 RPA beginning March  15, 2013 by calling Taxpayer Assistance at (651) 296-3781.  The information you will need to provide to the representative will be the name, address and phone number of the landlord, the dates of your rental, the number of adults who lived there and the total amount of rent paid.  We will mail you two copies of the RPA.  Using an RPA requires you to file a paper return. You will need to mail your completed M1PR form, one copy of the RPA, and proof of payment.